Colour in Animation: Different Uses for Visual Rhetoric
11 NOVEMBRO > 14H30 I SALA 3.07 I ENTRADA EXCLUSIVA A ALUNOS FBAUL
Conferência de Rosa Gertrudis Peris Medina
Esta conferência é EXCLUSIVA para alunos da FBAUL, até ao limite máximo da capacidade da sala (50 pessoas), por ordem de chegada.
Colour is a fundamental element in art, as well in animation cinema. In this class we will see different functions of colour in animation and how all them may be used for visual rhetoric. We will start with brief historical notes about colour in cinema, because, in the searching of adding colour to the already know B/W motion pictures, animation played a determinative role; moreover, the addition of colour to cinema had an influence in our concept of realism in animation and in life action films (a topic which we also will discuss in this class). Through several animated shorts and features, as well as some examples of life action cinema and scenography for opera, we will travel through the use of colour: from its protagonism as main visual expressive element and its use to depict movement, till the attribution of feelings, emotions and moral values as way to identify characters and event create a significant identity marc of the film.
- Know several function of colour in animation and its rhetorical use: as main expressive element, to create and depict movement, as way to transmit the mood of the story, to identify characters feelings and moral.
- Understand the role of colour in the concept of naturalism in animation.
- Know the historical importance of animation for the addition of colour in cinema.
- Analyse the role of colour in several animate short films and fragments of features with different graphic and motion style.
- Extend the analysis of colour to other media (life action film and opera) as a way to better understand animation.