The Master course in Museology and Museography aims to deepen and update the scientific and technological knowledge in the fields of museology and museography. It seeks to link the theoretical reflection to the practical intervention ability in the specific fields of study and management of collections and in the complex and diverse museum universe of our time, never disregarding the necessary opening to contemporary art and culture. It also aims to provide conditions for the development of innovative museum projects on the basis of a rigorous professionalization and combined academic training.
Check here the course coordinator.
The Master’s degree in Museology and Museography is granted to those who have obtained 120 ECTS.
All classes are addressed in portuguese. Therefore, it is recommended an independent knowledge of portuguese language (at least B1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
You can consult the course’s present schedule in the following link.
Who can apply
Are accepted as candidates for the Mestrado in Museology and Museography:
- Holders of the licenciado degree or legal equivalent in the artistic, sciences of art and social sciences areas as well as in identical or related areas;
- Holders of foreign academic degree conferred following a 1st cycle of studies organized according to the principles of the Bologna Process by a State acceding to this process in the artistic, sciences of art and social sciences areas as well as in identical or related areas;
- Holders of a foreign academic degree in the artistic, sciences of art and social sciences areas as well as in identical or related areas which is recognized as meeting the objectives of a Licenciado degree by the Scientific Board of the Faculty of Fine Arts;
- Holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum recognized by the Scientific Board of the Faculty of Fine Arts as attesting the capacity to attend the study programme.
HOW TO APPLY
The presentation of the application is carried out exclusively online, through the Fenix platform. All the information regarding the application process (dates, vacancies, necessary documents and form of submission of the application) can be consulted here.
For the presentation of the application, a non-refundable application fee is due.
See here the tuition fees currently set for the courses frequency.
The tuition fee for full-time students is set annually by the General Council of the Universidade de Lisboa, which may, under the International Student Statute, set differentiated values for international students.
Tuition fees can be paid in installments, to be defined by the Management Council of the Faculdade de Belas-Artes.
Evaluation criteria and selection
In the process of selection there’s an overall assessment of your application, subject to a numerical scale of 0 to 20 values, in which the following criteria will be considered:
- Final rank of academic degree. In the case of academic degrees obtained in foreign higher education institutions (when the foreign higher education institution adopts a different scale from the portuguese), the mark will be the result of the proportional conversion of the obtained grade to the portuguese grading system;
- Academic, scientific, technical and artistic curriculum;
- Relevant profissional experience in the course area, classified from 0 to 20.
An interview can take place if the Course Coordinator considers necessary, in which case it will be included in the evaluation criteria indicated above. Candidates who do not attend the interview will be excluded from the selection procedure.
2nd phase of application
The 2nd phase of applications will only be available in the courses that have leftover positions from of the 1st round of applications. Information on the possible availability of vacancies and the opening of the 2nd phase of applications will be published on this page until the 11th of July.
Application > july 18 to august 26, 2016
Publication of results > between 12 and 16 september, 2016
Enrollment of admitted candidates > 12 to 23 september, 2016
For submitting the application in this phase a 40 EUR fee is charged (non-refundable).
3rd phase of application
For courses that after the second stage of applications, do not complete the full number of available vacancies, an application period will be kept permanently open until October 7, 2016.
For submitting the application in this phase a 50 EUR fee is charged (non-refundable).
How to apply on-line
Before you initiate your on-line application to the Mestrado please read carefully the instructions below. For questions regarding the submission of your application do not hesitate to contact the Faculty’s Academic Services
- To make your online application, you must access the FenixEdu system and authenticate with the data of your Campus@ULisboa account. If you have lost access to your Campus@ULisboa account, you can make the recovery here
- If you haven’t attended any course at Faculdade de Belas-Artes and have no Campus@ULisboa account, you must necessarily carry out a pre-registration in FenixEdu application here
- After accessing the application, you must select the Applications tab. Next, you must create your application by choosing the regime and the course. After these steps, you must fill the requested data in the electronic form.
- All the documents required for the application process must be attached in digital format (pdf file), except the colour photo, that must be submited in jpeg format.
- The online application will become valid only after payment of the application fee. For that purpose, and ATM payment reference is made available (only usable under the portuguese banking system). It is also possible to make the payment by bank transfer. For other payment transfer solutions (namely VISA/Mastecard), please contact the Academic Services, through email@example.com. If the payment is not made until the indicated deadline, the application will be canceled.
- The non-submission of the required documents, or the incorrect presentation (e.g., Illegible document, not legalized foreign document, etc.) will invalidate the application. The candidate will be informed of this fact by the FenixEdu platform or by e-mail.
- Errors or omissions in filling out the electronic application form, or in carrying out the application process, are the sole responsibility of the candidate.
After the ranking process, applicants will be informed by email of the final result of the application. In case of acceptance, it will be dependent on the presentation at the Academic Services of the original (or a legal copy) of the degree certificate, during the indicated period.
Tuition fees / ACADEMIC YEAR 2016-2017
The tuition fees, set for the attendance of the academic year 2016-2017 in a regular full-time basis, are the following.
Annual tution fee for international students
Frequency of the 1st academic year > 4000 EUR
Frequency of the 2nd academic year > 4000 EUR
Annual tuition fee for national and equivalent students (EU nationals; non EU students that legally reside in Portugal for more than two years)
Frequency of the 1st academic year > 1200 EUR
Frequency of the 2nd academic year > 1200 EUR
Tuition fees can be paid in installments, as set by the Faculdade de Belas-Artes Management Board.
With the payment of the first installment it’s also due the registration fee.
// Important Note: The above annual amount for the tuition fee is valid only for the frequency of the academic year 2016/2017, and may be subject to change in subsequent years. The tuition fees are set annually by the General Council of the Universidade de Lisboa by proposal of the Rector.
Evaluation criteria and selection
The selection of the candidates will be held by the Master’s Coordinator and teachers. The evaluation criteria are the following ones:
- Final rank of academic degree.
- Curriculum including academic, scientific, teaching, artistic and professional branch relevant to the application;
For international students
* Available vacancies for the 2nd phase of applications: 4
For national and equivalent students (EU nationals; non EU students that legally reside in Portugal for more than two years)
* Available vacancies for the 2nd phase of applications: 15
The opening of the Mestrado is conditional to the existence of, at least, a global total of 12 admitted and enrolled candidates.
admission and enrollment conditions
The admitted candidates must perform their enrollment and registration during the periods set out. At the time of registration and enrollment is mandatory the payment of the first installment of the tuition fee (30% of the total annual tuition fee in the case of international students) along with the registration fee. In case of withdrawal of the course, duly formalized, the student is only relieved from paying the tution fees’ installments that have not expired. The payment made by the registration and enrollment is not refunded in case of withdrawal.
The issue by the Academic Services of the declaration of acceptance to the approved students in the application process, is subject to the payment of the above amounts. Placement in the course is only valid for the registration and enrollment in the academic year concerned in the application.
/ OTHER INFORMATION FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
Students who enroll in higher education under the Statute of the International Student (Decree-Law no. 36/2014 of 10 March) maintain the status of international student until the end of the course in which enroll initially or to which change afterwards. Exceptions to this provision are applied to international students who acquire the nationality of an EU Member State. In this situation, the termination of the application of international student status as a result of the acquisition of the nationality of an EU Member State takes effect in the academic year following the date of acquisition of nationality.
Consult here the Regulamento de Ingresso e Acesso para Estudantes Internacionais da Universidade de Lisboa.
Consult also the Universidade de Lisboa website, where you’ll find a comprehensive set of practical information (on accommodation, living costs, visas, etc.) for international students.