Training of Conservation Restorers in the field of Contemporary Art and / or artists with well-grounded scientific knowledge on the possibilities and limitations of the materials employed in their artistic production. The organization of this Master program has followed the guidelines of major international organizations related to the Conservation and Restoration and its teaching, with documentation on this matter, which determines what should be the basis for formation of a professionals in this area as well as the academic level needed for technical and scientific autonomy. The collaboration of the Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon provides a scientific component not only in the formation but also accessing laboratories and equipment, essential to obtain a solid knowledge in the desired area.
Intended learning outcomes
The Master program intends to train the students with respect: on the one hand, the Conservation and Restoration, emerging in this area, on the other the production of contemporary art. In the first case it aims to train professionals capable of performing the planning of an intervention, conducting diagnostic tests to identify the main processes leading the present situation, elaborate conservation strategies and proposals for conservation treatment as well as preventive conservation plans, develop Conservation and Restoration treatments and document any observations and interventions. In the second, our aim is to inform artists of the specificity of various materials, their skills, alteration processes, among other things, making a contemporary production process more aware of the very materiality of the artistic object.
Check here the course coordinator.
This Master program consists of four semesters. In the first two semesters from the first year, 60 ECTS divided into four subjects must be achieved. Three of these will be compulsory and specifically related to the general Master subject. The fourth will be optional and may be chosen from among various options in the curricula of the Master Programs from the Faculty of Fine Arts. In the latter case it is intended that students take advantage of this Faculty feature for their practical training of contemporary artistic production, accompanied by professors with extensive experience in these areas, adjusting the choice of their own purposes to the definition of a future area.
In the second year, a dissertation should be written completing the number of ECTS needed to obtain the degree. Given the scope of the proposed program, each student may select either the area of Conservation and Restoration of Contemporary Art, Conservation and Restoration Sciences or Production of Contemporary Art.
In the first case, following the international policies, the student must perform an internship for one academic year at a recognized institution, after which he will submit a report correspondent to a Master thesis. In the second case, the student may develop a theoretical dissertation on a topic of significant relevance, proposed with the consent of his mentor.
All classes are addressed in portuguese. Therefore, it is recommended an independent knowledge of portuguese language (at least B1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
You can consult the course’s present schedule in the following here.
Who can apply
Are accepted as candidates for the Mestrado in Science of Conservation, Restoration and Production of Contemporary Art:
- Holders of the licenciado degree or legal equivalent in the fied of conservation and restoration and the like, as well as other artistic variations;
- Holders of foreign academic degree conferred following a 1st cycle of studies organized according to the principles of the Bologna Process by a State acceding to this process in the fied of conservation and restoration and the like, as well as other artistic variations;
- Holders of a foreign academic degree in the fied of conservation and restoration and the like, as well as other artistic variations which is recognized as meeting the objectives of a Licenciado degree by the Scientific Board of the Faculty of Fine Arts;
- Holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum recognized by the Scientific Board of the Faculty of Fine Arts as attesting the capacity to attend the study programme
HOW TO APPLY
The presentation of the application is carried out exclusively online, through the Fenix platform. All the information regarding the application process (dates, vacancies, necessary documents and form of submission of the application) can be consulted here.
For the presentation of the application, a non-refundable application fee is due.
See here the tuition fees currently set for the courses frequency.
The tuition fee for full-time students is set annually by the General Council of the Universidade de Lisboa, which may, under the International Student Statute, set differentiated values for international students.
Tuition fees can be paid in installments, to be defined by the Management Council of the Faculdade de Belas-Artes.
Evaluation criteria and selection
In the process of selection there’s an overall assessment of your application, subject to a numerical scale of 0 to 20 values, in which the following criteria will be considered:
- Final rank of academic degree. In the case of academic degrees obtained in foreign higher education institutions (when the foreign higher education institution adopts a different scale from the portuguese), the mark will be the result of the proportional conversion of the obtained grade to the portuguese grading system;
- Academic, scientific, technical and artistic curriculum;
- Relevant profissional experience in the course area, classified from 0 to 20.
An interview can take place if the Course Coordinator considers necessary, in which case it will be included in the evaluation criteria indicated above. Candidates who do not attend the interview will be excluded from the selection procedure.