The study programme leading to PhD degree in Fine Arts aims to create conditions to ensure advanced training capable of provide and stimulate appropriate skills to the development of art projects and studies within the various scientific fields lectured in the Faculty of Fine Arts. With this training, doctoral students will be able to develop autonomus artistic and scientific research careers, to integrate and coordinate work teams in multidisciplinary areas in the several specialties, as well as to respond effectively to evaluation projects or consultancy in these areas.
The University of Lisbon, through the Faculty of Fine Arts, grants the degree of Doctor in Fine Arts in the following branches:
- Multimedia Art
- Equipment Design
- Communication Design
- Sciences of Art and Heritage
Check here the course coordinator.
Consult here the study plan (pdf)
The PhD’s degree in Fine Arts is granted to those who have obtained 180 ECTS, through the conclusion of the Curso de Formação Avançada (60 ECTS) and the development of an original thesis specifically prepared for this purpose, appropriate to the branch of knowledge or speciality, with it’s final discussion in a public assessment and approval (120 ECTS).
After passing the Curso de Formação Avançada, students should proceed to final registration, at the Scientific Council, of the theme and thesis plan, identifying the scientific basis of research, the methodology used and the objectives to be achieved, taking this registration a period of five years, non extendable.
In the first year, the Curso de Formação Avançada (Advanced Training Course) runs through course units which intend to support the preparation of an original thesis, which begins in the second semester of that year and develops in the followings.
In addition to supporting the preparation of the thesis project, in the first phase the course provides a wide variety of approaches and research possibilities and allows great freedom of setting options, focusing on the doctoral student the task of defining the best suited route for their needs and research interests.
On the other hand, the joint venture with the Center for Research and Studies in Fine Arts (CIEBA, the Faculty’s Research Center) allows the integration of researches in a structure organized for this purpose, enhancing their development and dissemination.
You can consult the course’s present schedule in the following link.
Who can apply
Are accepted as candidates:
- Holders of the master degree or legal equivalent in the areas of Fine Arts-Sculpture, Fine Arts-Painting, Equipment Design, Communication Design, Multimedia Art, Photography, Science of Art, Drawing, Artistic Anatomy, Art Education, Visual Arts & Design, Engineering, Architecture and other identical or related areas;
- Exceptionally, holders of the licenciado degree in the areas of Fine Arts-Sculpture, Fine Arts-Painting, Equipment Design, Communication Design, Multimedia Art, Photography, Science of Art, Drawing, Artistic Anatomy, Art Education, Visual Arts & Design, Engineering, Architecture and other identical or related areas, with an especially relevant academic and scientific curriculum recognized by the Scientific Board of the Faculty of Fine Arts as attesting the capacity to attend the study programme.
HOW TO APPLY
The presentation of the application is carried out exclusively online, through the Fenix platform. All the information regarding the application process (dates, vacancies, necessary documents and form of submission of the application) can be consulted here.
For the presentation of the application, a non-refundable application fee is due.
See here the tuition fees currently set for the courses frequency.
The tuition fee for full-time students is set annually by the General Council of the Universidade de Lisboa, which may, under the International Student Statute, set differentiated values for international students.
Tuition fees can be paid in installments, to be defined by the Management Council of the Faculdade de Belas-Artes.
Evaluation criteria and selection
The candidates of the study programme leading to PhD degree are selected through the assessment of the elements submitted during the application process.
The selection will be done directly from the gathering of access conditions, except when the number of applications exceeds the logistical conditions indispensable to the pursuit of advanced training course. In this case, are considered the following criteria for ranking the candidates:
- Final rank of academic degree, classified from 1 to 5;
- Academic, artistic, scientific and professional curriculum, classified from 1 to 5;
- Portfolio, if applicable;
- Preliminary research project and portfolio;
- An application interview can take place if the PhD Scientific Board considers necessary.