The 2nd cycle in the branch of Fine Arts, specialization in Painting, includes in this adjustment recent rules and hits resulting from the balance of the experience from the previous course, redefining as fundamental objective providing continuity, deepening and diversification of central studies of graduates in Art Studies/Fine Arts, in particular Fine Arts/Painting. It aims to promote the increase of knowledge and reflection in this area, either in the specialty as in interdisciplinary areas, focusing on the themes addressed in the contemporary world and its relationship to other areas of research and professional opportunities and, most importantly, provide conditions for the development of artistic projects from the essential perspectives of advanced qualification and innovation in the context of it’s research. They are also objectives of this course training capacities of critical autonomy, communication of artistic production and their knowledge; to that end is also intended to encourage activities and methods of publication and dissemination of research carried out with greater relevance, extending the players throughout all procedure, so as to enable open issues and exchange of experiences to include in subsequent projects, individual or integrated in institutions, specific or tranversal nature and multidisciplinary, with lifelong consequences.
Meet the blog on the masters in Painting FBAUL.
Check here for the course coordinator.
Consult here the study plan (pdf)
This new study plan will be introduced in the academic year 2018/2019.
The Master’s degree in Painting is granted to those who have obtained 120 ECTS.
All classes are addressed in portuguese. Therefore, it is recommended an independent knowledge of portuguese language (at least B1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
For the dissertation, this keeps the assumptions and format that has since the beginning: theoretical-practical, aspect that was, moreover, the first to be implemented in the country. Part of certainty that the artistic research in fact, in its most essential sense, born of his own artistic project and is inseparable. This means that develops both artistic and theoretical project, which involves two components:
- The plastic work, priority, which can be painting in traditional support or not, as a broad concept of painting;
- A text linked to plastic work (the modes of articulation differ from case to case and are defined according to the guider/s) supporting this or extend their sense of investigation.
The thesis already made available at the Library of the Faculty of Fine Arts attests this point: there’s a text as in the other Masters, but this is related to a personal work that was done in parallel, was exposed in the discussion of the thesis and was documented by a CD accompanying the text. The thesis is incomplete without this CD … and this is what contains the main work, unlike the other Masters, in which the “book” is all.
You can consult the course’s present schedule in the following link.
Who can apply
Are accepted as candidates for the Mestrado in Painting:
- Holders of the licenciado degree or legal equivalent in the areas of Fine Arts, Visual Arts, Architecture and other related areas, althought admission through curriculum assessment made by the Master’s Scientific Board is possible;
- Holders of foreign academic degree conferred following a 1st cycle of studies organized according to the principles of the Bologna Process by a State acceding to this process in the areas of Fine Arts-Sculpture, Visual Arts-Sculpture & Design, Architecture and other related areas, althought admission through curriculum assessment made by the Master’s Scientific Board is possible;
- Holders of a foreign academic degree in the areas of Fine Arts, Visual Arts & Design, Architecture and other related areas, althought admission through curriculum assessment made by the Master’s Scientific Board is possible, which is recognized as meeting the objectives of a Licenciado degree by the Scientific Board of the Faculty of Fine Arts;
- Holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum recognized by the Scientific Board of the Faculty of Fine Arts as attesting the capacity to attend the study programme.
HOW TO APPLY
The presentation of the application is carried out exclusively online, through the Fenix platform. All the information regarding the application process (dates, vacancies, necessary documents and form of submission of the application) can be consulted here.
For the presentation of the application, a non-refundable application fee is due.
Evaluation criteria and selection
See here the evaluation criteria and selection for applications to this Master program.
See here the tuition fees currently set for the courses frequency.
The tuition fee for full-time students is set annually by the General Council of the Universidade de Lisboa, which may, under the International Student Statute, set differentiated values for international students.
Tuition fees can be paid in instalments, to be defined by the Management Council of the Faculdade de Belas-Artes.