With a theoretical basis, this master’s degree provides a broad and shared formation between the main domains of reflection and theorization of the contemporary artistic field, within the spirit of the Faculdade de Belas-Artes’ scientific area of Sciences of Art and Heritage, focusing on the actuality of traditional discourses on art (History of Art, especially Modern and Contemporary, Art Criticism, Aesthetics) and on the theoretical problems raised by the curatorship of contemporary art.
Offering a broader initial platform, mobilizing an articulated reflection of the theories of the visual arts in general, the master’s degree develops into a convergent structure directed to the following areas of expertise: Art Criticism, Artistic Curation, History of Art and Aesthetics.
The idea is to articulate the information of competences to areas of research that students can integrate. The course units, which define the courses internal branches of specialization, frame the contemporary modes of thinking and the mechanisms that involve the art system, especially the contemporary one. In this sense, curatorship is not only explored here in the more technical line of museography, but as an enabling content of multiple practices.
General objectives defined for the course:
- Provide initial extended training in Science and Art Theories, developing it in an optional specification per semester that assumes in the dissertation one of the three branches based on the main course units.
- To continue the licenciatura of Sciences of the Art and Heritage to theoretical interests of other areas of the Faculdade de Belas-Artes.
- Parallel to the existing courses, Master in Museology and Master of Science in Conservation, Restoration and Production of Contemporary Art, present a wide master’s degree and specific branches, while developments of the first cycle training, in the scope of Art Criticism, Curatorship and Theories of Art.
- Promote and develop research lines in Sciences of Art.
- Prepare areas of work and research that may be developed in other courses (master’s and doctoral) in articulation with CIEBA (Center for Research and Studies in Fine Arts).
Check here the course coordinator.
The study programme can be consulted here (pdf)
The Master’s degree in Art Criticism, Theories and Curatorial Studies is granted to those who have obtained 120 ECTS.
All classes are addressed in portuguese. Therefore, it is recommended an independent knowledge of portuguese language (at least B1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
You can consult the course’s present schedule in the following here.
Who can apply
Are accepted as candidates for the Mestrado in Art Criticism, Theories and Curatorial Studies:
- Holders of the licenciado degree or legal equivalent in the areas of Fine Arts, History and Theories of Art, Museology or Museography, being accepted other artistic variants;
- Holders of foreign academic degree conferred following a 1st cycle of studies organized according to the principles of the Bologna Process by a State acceding to this Process, in the areas mentioned above;
- Holders of a foreign academic degree in the areas of Fine Arts, History and Theories of Art, Museology or Museography, being accepted other artistic variants, recognized as meeting the objectives of a Licenciado degree by the Scientific Board of the Faculdade de Belas-Artes;
- Holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum recognized by the Scientific Board of the Faculdade de Belas-Artes as attesting the capacity to attend the study programme.
HOW TO APPLY
The presentation of the application is carried out exclusively online, through the Fenix platform. All the information regarding the application process (dates, vacancies, necessary documents and form of submission of the application) can be consulted here.
For the presentation of the application, a non-refundable application fee is due.
See here the tuition fees currently set for the courses frequency.
The tuition fee for full-time students is set annually by the General Council of the Universidade de Lisboa, which may, under the International Student Statute, set differentiated values for international students.
Tuition fees can be paid in installments, to be defined by the Management Council of the Faculdade de Belas-Artes.
Evaluation criteria and selection
In the process of selection there’s an overall assessment of your application, subject to a numerical scale of 0 to 20 values, in which the following criteria will be considered:
- Final rank of academic degree. In the case of academic degrees obtained in foreign higher education institutions (when the foreign higher education institution adopts a different scale from the portuguese), the mark will be the result of the proportional conversion of the obtained grade to the portuguese grading system;
- Academic, scientific, technical and artistic curriculum;
- Relevant profissional experience in the course area, classified from 0 to 20.
An interview can take place if the Course Coordinator considers necessary, in which case it will be included in the evaluation criteria indicated above. Candidates who do not attend the interview will be excluded from the selection procedure.